Thursday, August 30, 2007

A car by any other name...

Now that I have a more stable job it is time for me to give back Leroy (the family car) and find a replacement. I have decided along with the economy minded folk currently in the majority, that I want to get something small and fuel efficient. Although getting a pickup truck did cross my mind I have realized that I rarely need to transport my ping pong table anywhere. But that is another story entirely. Several question remain; (1) what model, (2)manual or automatic, and (3) what literary name shall I bequeath to my new petite behemoth of composite and steel.

(1)
Cars under consideration
Aveo -- seems cheap and poorly built, seat was not comfortable
Civic -- possibility
Fit -- Haven't seen yet but looks pretty cool online from reviews


(2)
From what I have seen manual cars are cheaper than automatic cars. I have also heard they are more "fun" to drive. this might be because of the possibility of doing something horribly wrong like sliding into the car in back of you or stalling at a stoplight. The biggest problem with me getting a manual is that I don't really have any experience driving one. And to do a test drive it would be nice to actually drive instead of just sitting there looking lovingly at the wheel. A friend of mine has offered to give me a lesson in their car next week so we will see how it goes. I love learning new things so this seems like an exciting challenge


(3)
I suppose I should really wait until I have the car to name it so that the name matches the soul and look of the car. It could not hurt to have a few Ideas though. Here are a few I came up with, feel free to help me out with some suggestions. (I know there are some talented namers out there from 41 if nowhere else, you heard me Paco, Panic, and Guava)


Stewart,
Beatrice,
Hero,
Roxanne,
Telara,
Fievel,
Tanya,
Pinky,
Zort,
Sonic,

Here is a great example of twisted logical associations:
Car -- Smooth sailing
Sailing smoothly -- clouds
clouds -- produce rain
precipitation -- hail
hail -- creates damage
damage -- synonym of destruction
destruction -- antonym of construction
Construction -- done by workers
workers -- are paid wages
wages -- are put in bank vaults
bank vaults -- are like caves
exploring caves -- spelunking
Car name -- spelunk

.

3 comments:

Grey said...

Mr. Bultitude.

I've been wanting to give that name to something for a while now.

paquito said...

Well let's see...
Cars use gas, gas is stored in a tank, a tank is used by the Marines, the Marines have a moto that is in Latin, Latin is Roman, Caesar was the Roman emperor, Caesar is a kind of salad...

paquito said...

However, I personally prefer Telara