Monday, August 13, 2007

An unaTRACTive Faith

Let me start out by saying I don't agree with the statements scribbled in the margins. I found this little bright colored leaflet on a trip to the commode where I spotted it carefully perched on the toilet paper dispenser. Since I am a Christian, and have even handed out a few tracts in the past, I would normally have left this little pearl of wisdom for the next occupant of the stall with out even giving it a second glance. However I noted the scribbled writing mocking the message. So I decide to read the whole thing. From the general comments left I doubt the scribbler took the time to read the tract, but then again I doubt I would have either had he not taken the time. Inside were an old English smattering of bible snippets walking one through the basics in two and a half narrow pages. After reading the tract and thinking about its literary as well as physical presentation, I realized that If this were my only contact with the gospel I doubt I would be interested or even understand what they were talking about. The first thing I read when opening up the tract was "You are a sinner -- You have God's Word on it ..." I agree with that statement, but If I had not already agreed with it I don think would have read a letter more. So what is my point? Well I guess there has to be a better way to evangelize than leaving cryptic condemning literature in bathroom stalls. Not that God can't use that, but God can use even a Marilyn Manson Music video to bring people to himself if He wanted. However on our part I don't think tracts are generally the way to go. The practical truth is that Christianity was ment to be spread through personal contact as Jesus did. If Christ is not readable in our lives then no amout of tracts will do any good. People are watching to see if our faith really makes any difference in our lives. If not, if our faith is not lived out, then it is worthless.

And I am convicted by my own bloggings.

Praise God for his grace and mercy to us the fallen.

1 comment:

abu said...

"But it's the TRUTH!" "Why water down the message so people like it?" "Is 'brood of vipers' too negative for you, too?" Actually, you are right. And if knowing Jesus doesn't make me a better person, a better neighbor, then I'm not really embracing the "good news" but just pasting an air of superiority over my selfishness.