For those of you who don't already know, the day after Christmas I flew to California to visit several friends. I had a faaantastic time, being a Tourist. I spent Wednesday and Thursday with Priscilla learning my way around Hollywood and seeing first hand the life of an aspiring actress. Thursday night I got to go Swing (Lindy) dancing in Pasadena (http://www.lindygrove.com/) which of course was a blast.
Friday Priscilla, Brandon, and I went to Santa Monica beach, although it was a little chilly so we did not even contemplate diving in. We had Lunch at Ye Olde Kings Head Pub a faaantastic, and authentic, English pub there.
Saturday Brandon gave me a guided tour of Huntington Beach and we had Lunch at his favorite Local Japanese restaurant. There he gave me an introductory lesson in Sushi and I brushed up on my chopstick skills. The California roles were Delicious, and now I know the difference between salmon, and yellow tail etc.
I spent Sunday and Monday with Paco and his family. The more I learn about Paco the more I realize we have in common. I had a faaantastic time worshiping with them on Sunday, Swapping Stories, exploring the Redondo Beach area, and enjoying some excellent home cooked (gluten free!!!) meals.
The most interesting and foreign food I encountered while in California was surprisingly not the sushi. Paco and his family introduced me to a rather spiky fruit, known as Rambutan. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambutan) They are hard to describe. They have a thistle like exterior skin covering a grape like flesh with one solitary seed in the center. Dispite their rather formidable exoskeleton, they are tasty in an exotic, mildly tangy sort of way.
The famous Hollywood sign is block off by fences so here is better shot of a more accessible one :-)
Take a good look at that head veiled in an elusive blue hoodie, you'll see it again on the silver screen someday
Yes Surfing, even in December. My goodness, I know why people move there by the truckloads.
You just don't get scenery like that in Iowa. Note Paco in the corner for a little perspective, but still the picture doesn't do it justice.
As you can see, the last day was by far the best weather wise, and then of course I had to come back to snow, ice, and everything else that winter provides for the Midwesterner. *Sigh* oh well. *puts nose back on grindstone*
2 comments:
Not to trivialize your trip or anything...but you have to know that California is a LOT bigger than the Los Angeles area. (-: You haven't even touched on the variety that we have out here. That being said...hope you enjoyed your stay in the Golden State. (-:
Pshawww
Post a Comment