Thursday, March 22, 2007

England (Scotland) Day 9






Our supersubcompact rental car



This morning we set out from the Gill farm to see Hadrian's Wall a nearly 2000 year old wall constructed by the Romans. The wall was built in 122 AD to keep the barbarians out of England. On the way there CQ let me try my hand at driving. Since I am not very good at driving stick it was somewhat frustrating at first. But I caught on alright and I let CQ take over when we got back to a main road. I stalled a few times but I think I am starting to get the hang of things. I think I will leave the Driving to CQ, but it is nice to know I could do it in an emergency. After seeing the wall we took a large detour through the lake district and the Yorkshire dales on our way to Sheffield. Di spite the clouds our drive was faaantastic, the scenery was breathtaking and we were forced to stop several times to take pictures. We stopped for lunch at the Red Lion Inn in sedgburg. I had a really fantastic sirloin stake with veggies and potatos. Caleb tried the Yorkshire pudding.



A wall on one of our picture stops


Eventually we arrived in Sheffield. However due to a misunderstood directions, and the complications of the British highway system it took us quite a long time to get our bearings. After a few detours we arrived at the the H's house.




Soon after we arrived we had a lovely international meal with the H's (including Thai Curry!) and chatted. Later we watched some British television and Mr. H was kind enough to explain some of its intricacies.






1 comment:

TurboNed said...

*gasp* You used CQ's first name! Now I know who you went to England with!!!!!